PRESS STATEMENT BY
THE MINISTRY OF FINANCE AND
ECONOMIC PLANNING SARAWAK
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RESPONSE ON STATEMENT MADE BY
YB LIM GUAN ENG, MINISTER FOR FINANCE MALAYSIA
1. YB Lim Guan Eng, Minister for Finance on Friday, 21st June 2019 has made a statement which claimed that Sarawak will go bankrupt in three years’ time if it continues to be ruled by Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS).
2. The Sarawak Government under Gabungan Parti Sarawak is a responsible government that has always been practicing and upholding the principle of a disciplined and responsible financial management.
3. The Auditor-General of Malaysia had accorded Sarawak with an unqualified report for the past 17th consecutive years. Besides that, the international rating agencies namely Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s had also re-affirmed the State’s commendable investment credit rating at A3 and A-, respectively. These achievements are clear testimony of the State’s continuous sound financial management in exercising financial prudence and financial discipline at all levels.
4. The Sarawak Government had recorded budget surpluses for many years as a result of higher revenue than expenditure. These continuous budget surpluses has enabled the State to build up its reserves. For instance, for the past five (5) years the revenue versus expenditure of the State Government are as follows:
5. As such, the statement made by the Federal Minister for Finance that Sarawak will go bankrupt if it continues to be ruled by GPS is totally misleading and with political motive. As Minister of Finance Malaysia, it is incumbent upon him to be careful and responsible as any statement from him will be taken as signal to the health of Malaysian economy.
6. The State Government will continue to strengthen its financial management under good government practices, strict financial discipline and prudence at all times. We will always ensure that the State Government will have the capacity and ability to finance any plan or commitment undertaken for the benefit of the people of Sarawak.
7. On the effort to restore the rights and status of Sabah and Sarawak under MA63, the negotiation is still on-going. So, does it mean that the statement made by the Federal Minister for Finance reflects the stand of PH Federal Government for not willing to restore the equal status?
Date: 23rd June 2019
Press Statement by
Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning Sarawak
Pejabat Ketua Menteri Sarawak, Tingkat 22 Wisma Bapa Malaysia, Petra Jaya 93502, Kuching Sarawak
Tel: (082)440801 Fax: (082) 444566 Email: email@example.com Laman Web: www.cm.sarawak.gov.my